Libraries strive to provide great service and to ensure easy access to media products. With thousands of visitors choosing from copious books, CDs, videos, and computer games, storing and controlling inventory poses huge challenges.
To reduce the waiting time for visitors and to relieve staff, most libraries that use RFID rely on RFID-powered self-service media checkout stations. This approach reduces labor, ensures that books are returned to shelves quickly, shortens wait times and encourages more people to visit the library.
Taking inventory with the aid of RFID takes only a fraction of the time required with traditional systems. With RFID labels easily applied to all types of media, library staff can use handheld RFID readers to quickly, conveniently and reliably locate misplaced books or other items. New systems such as Smart Shelves enable real-time location of all media within the library.
- Faster check-out and 24/7 self return service
- Fast and automated sorting of returned books
- Improved inventory management
- Identification of misplaced books
- Reliable theft protection with Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS)
RFID Features Benefiting Application:
- Unique serialized identification
- No line-of-sight requirement
- Easily applicable to all media types
- Reliable, fast and convenient identification